Friday, October 23, 2015

What's Blooming in Larry Moore Park in Mid October?

Catalina Fushia at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Catalina Fushia at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
I love observing nature. That's one reason I often walk through Larry Moore Park. It is open space with paths along the Salinas River, currently dry. One thing that frustrates me as I walk through the park taking pictures is that I can't identify everything I see. One thing I didn't have a name for is the plant in this photo. It really adds color to the park at this time of year. This photo shows several plants in a group.

Catalina Fushia at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Catalina Fushia at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
I decided before starting to write this that I would go back to the park today and take some close-up photos that would give me a good look at the individual flowers. I wanted to research them and find a name. As you see, I succeeded. Here is an enlarged view of the flowers. They really do resemble Fushia flowers a bit. Learn more and see a video on the Catalina Fushia  here. 

Willow in Bloom at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Willow in Bloom at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic


Other plants are also in bloom. One is the willow that you see all over the park. This one was right beside the path. Many are in the riverbed or beside it. Do you see the bee? If you need a closer look, just click the photo.






Telegraph Weed at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Telegraph Weed at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
I finally identified another plant I seem to see everywhere -- even in my own yard. I've always assumed it to be a weed, and since I study weeds I was frustrated that I didn't know this one's name. The internet has more information than I have available in my books, and so I know now that this is a Telegraph Weed.




Coyote Brush in Bloom  at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Coyote Brush in Bloom  at Larry Moore Park, © B. Radisavljevic
Last today, are the many coyote brush plants you will see not only in the park but on most rural roadsides and county wild places. It is just beginning to bloom and will be ready to lighten up the winter landscape in the bleak months. I think of coyote brush as California snowdrifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...