Thursday, October 22, 2015

Picking Apples

Since my delicious apple tree died a few years ago after its trunk split, I have to buy most apples now. This year we did get a few very small apples from our other apple tree, variety unknown since we didn't plant it. Last year we got plenty of larger apples from that same tree. I imagine the drought has affected the apple size since we don't irrigate the orchard. The photo shows some of last year's apples on the tree. Unfortunately, we prefer cooking this variety to eating it raw.


Our Apples on the Tree, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic
Our Apples on the Tree, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic


To get eating apples from a tree last year, we went to the orchard at Jack Creek Farms, pictured here. We picked them ourselves and had several varieties to choose from. I love picking fruit myself. It makes me feel more connected to the food I eat.

Apple Orchard at Jack Creek Farm, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic
Apple Orchard at Jack Creek Farm, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic


How about you? Would you rather pick your apples or buy them from a store display? Or do you get them at Farmers Market, which is the next best thing to picking them yourself?

Now here's a use for those small apples or the ones the birds or worms got to before you did.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...