Wednesday, October 14, 2015

This is the Season When Pepper Trees Steal the Show

The Brilliant Pepper Tree



This particular pepper tree lives beside the path that leads from the easternmost entrance to Larry Moore Park from the Riverbank Tract.  I took the pictures on October 20 last year when the pinkish berries were fully developed.


Pepper Tree at Larry Moore Park, ©B. Radisavljevic
Peruvian Pepper Tree on October 20, 2014, ©B. Radisavljevic

What Kind of Pepper Tree?


My research leads me to believe this is a Peruvian pepper tree rather than a Brazilian, although both grow in California. The reason I decided that is because the Peruvian pepper tree is deciduous. The Brazilian pepper tree is evergreen. After looking through my winter photos I found this picture taken on December 16. Looks to me as though this tree is definitely deciduous.


Peruvian Pepper Tree on December 16, 2014, ©B. Radisavljevic
Peruvian Pepper Tree on December 16, 2014, ©B. Radisavljevic

Pepper Tree in All its Glory




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...