Monday, October 5, 2015

Autumn Brings Apples, Walnuts, and Quince

Quince Almost Ready to Pick


It's time for me to get serious about harvesting our fruit and walnuts this year. As you can see, the quince are getting ripe.


Autumn  Brings Apples, Walnuts, and Quince


Apple Season


The apples are beginning to fall to the ground, and I've picked those I've found there. They are really small this year because they've had so little water. I keep hoping if I leave them on the tree longer they will get bigger.



Apples on the Tree Ready to Pick, © B. Radisavljevic


Walnuts Need Harvesting




Walnuts Gathered from the Ground,  © B. Radisavljevic
I've only begun to pick the walnuts off the ground. I'm grateful for the crop, but my back does not enjoy the harvesting. I hope to get what I can off the tree. The ones I can reach are easier to pick than the ones on the ground. I'm hoping to treat myself to one of these harvest helpers this year.




2 comments:

  1. Once again, I am grateful for your garden posts. I can almost smell those ripe apples, lying in the grass, their sweetness wafting up. We used to get very black hands, peeling the hulls off the walnuts, and I once made myself sick, eating too many! Enjoy your harvest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband gets to do the peeling and cracking, but that means he is also the ones that grabs the newly cracked nuts to eat before they get into the jars. Thanks your lovely comment.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...