Friday, October 2, 2015

Side Trip to Harmony, California

History of Harmony Mural on Wall, photo © B. Radisavljevic
Would you believe that though I've lived on the Central Coast for over twenty years now, I only recently got around to investigating the tiny town of Harmony? It was started by Swiss Dairy Farmers in 1869, but it is no longer a dairy town. It's now more like a colony of people who make art objects. The only open businesses I saw the day I was there were the glass blower and the pottery shop. If you click the photo to enlarge it, you should be able to read the history.

The Harmony Cellars Winery was at the top of the hill, but since I was there late in the afternoon, I didn't bother going up to see it. I'll do it on another day.

Picnic Area Beside Pottery Shop, photo © B. Radisavljevic


The only shop I entered when I was there was the Pottery Shop. The proprietor didn't want me to take pictures inside, so I didn't. I did think the outside was lovely.

Here is a closer look at that exterior wall of the pottery shop. I especially like the weeping willow tree.

Weeping Willow Tree Beside Pottery Shop, photo © B. Radisavljevic














Harmony Well, photo © B. Radisavljevic




Here is the well  at Harmony. I think it's just for show and its historical  value. It did not appear to be in use.






Harmony Picture Window, photo © B. Radisavljevic




Want to prove you've been to Harmony? Use the picture window to get your picture taken. Then go to Zazzle and make yourself some postcards to send to friends. Just follow upload a photo you've edited to 1120 x 850 pixels with a resolution of 200 ppi and follow the simple instructions. You can actually play with the size on the Zazzle page to show your photo  to best advantage.

Through Harmony Picture Window, photo © B. Radisavljevic


Of course, if you don't want to put yourself in the way of the scenery, you could just  shoot through the window yourself as I did here.

I saw a number of interesting succulent plants in Harmony, but I'll show you those in some future post.