Thursday, February 12, 2015

Will We See Water In the River This Year?

I live very close to the Salinas River as it flows through Paso Robles -- if and when it does flow. As you can see in this picture, there is no water in it now. That is its condition through most of the year. We didn't see any water in it last year at all, since we were in drought conditions. This photo was taken on January 2, 2015. Since then we have had more rain than we had for our entire rainy season last year, and that gives me hope we may actually get a flowing river again before the rains stop. What a difference three years can make.

One year, by just happening to be in the right place at the right time, I actually saw the river fill. Up until that day I thought it just filled from rainfall. But actually, it is released from the dam at Santa Margarita Lake and I was there, standing in the riverbed with my camera when the water started to come toward me. You can watch it here on video and in photos: My Search for the River and How it Found Me. The photo for the poster pictured below was taken when the river was very full.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...