Thursday, March 5, 2015

It's Wild Mustard Season in the North County

As I was driving home on Highway 46 West today, I decided it was time to stop and take a picture of the mustard on the slope on the side of the highway. I love the way it looks on the green hillsides and in between the rows of vines in some of the vineyards I have visited. See some mustard growing in a vineyard. I know the mustard may keep blooming for a while, but the hillsides will be brown again all too quickly - unless it keeps raining. I'm not holding my breath for that, though I always hope. Our California drought makes me treasure each rainstorm as a gift from Heaven.

Here is a closer look at the wild mustard plant that is common in the wild places of San Luis Obispo County, and maybe where you live, as well. This one is growing next to my mailbox.

Is wild mustard common where you live? Do you have it on your property?

2 comments:

  1. So that's what wild mustard looks like. As far as I know we don't have it in New Zealand, but I used to live in San Francisco and I'll bet some of the yellow hills were mustard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine they were, but I don't get to the Bay Area much anymore. It's all over our hillsides and in the vineyards now. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...