Sunday, March 15, 2015

The Lake at Barney Schwartz Park in Paso Robles

Pond at Barney Schwartz Park in Paso Robles, © B. Radisavljevic

Yesterday I pictured some children enjoying the  various levels of Barney Schwartz Park they could use for riding their scooters. I also discovered there is a small lake (one million gallons) where children can fish without a license. (Adults do have to get licenses.) I was surprised to see a lake here considering how short Paso Robles is of water. (They are rationing when and for how long we can water our landscaping, and the Board of Supervisors is imposing new ordinances that prevent some farmers and vineyards from planting new crops.)


Turtles on a Rock, © B. Radisavljevic



The lake is attractive, and the many turtles make it even more so. Most of the rock tops are occupied by the turtles.  I'm guessing that they help keep the mosquito population down by eating the larvae in the lake before they hatch into adult mosquitoes. Here is a closer look at the turtles on a rock.



One of the most attractive features of the lake is the small waterfall that seems to fill it or recirculate the water from the other side of the bridge.

Waterfall at Barney Schwartz Park, © B. Radisavljevic

Do you have lakes, creeks, rivers, or oceans near you?

8 comments:

  1. I USED to live near the Pacific Ocean in Los Osos/Baywood Park, CA outside SLO, as you may remember, Barbara. Now I live near the Atlantic Ocean on the Georgia coast. I grew up on one of New York State's Fingerlakes (Canandaigua Lake) and Lake Ontario @ Rochester, NY, so you can see I enjoy the water. Hope California's water shortage eventually ends. I know how tough it can be. Loved your photos of your Paso Robles lake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get out to Los Osos very often, but I did get to the Elfin Forest a couple of times. It's funny what a barrier the grade can seem between north and south counties when they are only half an hour apart. I'm assuming you never have to deal with water shortages in Georgia. At least you still have a coast. If you're used to having a cost near you, it would be hard to be a long way from one. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful and restful area to sit and relax or fish! We have a few lakes and parks around us, for which I am most grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by, Cynthia. I wish I had more time to enjoy our parks.I am thankful we have them so that everyone, rich and poor have a place to enjoy nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love Paso Robles and enjoy driving through the wine country along the I-46 (coming from Los Angeles). Enjoyed your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't make that drive very often anymore. I live in the 46 West Wine Country, the stretch from 101 to Cambria. There are at least 20 wineries and vineyards within five miles of me. That's why I blog so much about them. Glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  5. Love Paso Robles. Have been there many times! Used to live in Monterey and drive back and forth using the 46 connector to the 5. You are fortunate to live in such a beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I'm fortunate to live here. We could also live in Carmel Valley if we chose, since my husband inherited a house there, but we are renting it out and continuing to live here. The Monterey peninsula is also very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...