Wednesday, May 20, 2015

S is for Summerwood

Summerwood Winery and Inn Sign, Paso Robles. © B. Radisavljevic
Whenever I think of Summerwood Winery and Inn, the words beauty and grace come to mind. I think of gardens and trees, and, of course, grapes. 

Summerwood is another of my neighbors east of me on Highway 46 West. I have visited many times, and each time I see some different aspect of it, depending upon the season. Most people driving 46 West from the 101 Freeway as far as Arbor Road will notice this Summerwood sign on the corner.

When I was in the tasting room some time ago, I did take some pictures, but I can't find them tonight. So to see the interior, check out the Summerwood website.  I will concentrate on the views most people just passing by don't see. For example, this shot of the vineyard was taken on March 23, 2012 from Live Oak Drive, looking south  toward the tasting room and Highway 46 West.


Summerwood Vineyard View from Live Oak Drive, © B. Radisavljevic







All  those vines produce the grapes that make the wines. I took this photo in the Summerwood vineyard, though  I'm not sure which variety this is. This, and the photos below were taken in June, 2014, as the grapes were beginning to plump out, but while they were still green.

Summerwood Grapes, June 17, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic
Summerwood Grapes in June, © B. Radisavljevic 


Grapes don't, of course, become wine without human help. Humans harvest the grapes. Winemakers also get some help with their equipment. The photo shows some of that equipment which is stored behind the winery until it's needed after the harvest.I call this the business end of the winery.

Wine Making Equipment at Summerwood, June 17, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic
Summerwood Winemaking Equipment, © B. Radisavljevic




You can see how some of this equipment is used in my video of the wine-making process at Croad Vineyards.






A Garden behind the Summerwood Tasting Room, June 17, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic

These next two photos show some of the outdoor places one can enjoy tasting the wines. Summerwood has some lovely garden spots and unlike most of the local wineries it has a lot of tree varieties -- not just the oaks you see in most vineyards. That makes it a colorful place in autumn, but this photo on the left was taken in June behind the tasting room.




I took this last picture in front of the tasting room, also in June. Most of the flowers are in bloom. The large oak provides shade when the temperatures rise. Highway 46 West is on the other side of the barely visible fence behind the oak tree.
     
A Garden in Front of the  the Summerwood Tasting Room, June 17, 2014, © B. Radisavljevic
Summerwood Tasting Room Garden, © B. Radisavljevic 


It's unfortunate that I don't drink wine myself, since alcoholism runs in my family and I don't want to chance getting to like wine too much. That's why I don't talk about the tasting experience. You can read the reviews of the wines and the Summerwood Inn on Yelp. From all I've read, you will enjoy a wine-tasting stop at Summerwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...