Friday, May 15, 2015

N is for Neglected and Abandoned Buildings

Abandoned Building Near Castoro Cellars Winery on Hwy 46 W. © B. Radisavljevic
As I walk around the North County, it's hard not to notice the many vacant buildings. Many are in out of the way places, but not all. As I wrote in a previous post, the old Hometown Nursery site occupies almost a full  block of Spring Street. Wilson's Restaurant is also vacant, but it is at least cared for rather than being neglected. One of the more visible abandoned buildings I see often is right in the middle of 46 West Wine Country. It appears to be part of the Castoro Cellars property, and I've always wondered what it used to be. A home? An old winery? I have pictured it here.

Abandoned property in Templeton, CA. © B. Radisavljevic
Another rather interesting neglected and abandoned building is a house between Main Street and the railroad tracks in Templeton. I have several shots of it, including one with an old chimney and a pair of shoes rotting away on the ground. There is more than one abandoned building on the property. I chose this shot because of the fallen tree in front of it. The whole scene portrays the neglect. It's sad, as all abandoned buildings are. I know there must be some stories behind these buildings, but I haven't been able to find them yet.


This last home is also abandoned. In fact, at the end of October it's even haunted. It, too, is in Templeton, on the east side of Main Street. This first shot is an overview taken from across the street.


Templeton's Official Halloween Haunted House, Abandoned home in Templeton, CA. © B. Radisavljevic
Although it's abandoned, it's not totally neglected. On Halloween it officially becomes a haunted house. I suspected that when I looked closely at these boarded up windows. Then  I confirmed my suspicions with a bit of online research. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything online about the other abandoned buildings.

If you want a closer look at any photo, just click to enlarge it.



2 comments:

  1. I have a set of pics from the Castoro Cellars house as well: http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread.asp?fid=1&threadid=119057

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were all those pictures from this house? They don't appear to be. I'm glad your accompanying story turned out to be fiction.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...