Sunday, April 5, 2015

Candlelight Vigil at Church in Preparation for Easter Sunday

After Pre-Easter Vigil © B. Radisavljevic
Tonight our church had an GreatVigil of Easter service for Holy Saturday, the Saturday before prepare Resurrection Day. It was the first time I had ever attended such a service. This is the second year they've had it, but I was recovering from foot surgery last year and couldn't leave the house. Although  there is light in the photo, it was turned on after the service. We were in the dark except for candles people carried in before the service.

The church is almost set up for Easter Sunday. We aren't a fancy church. The table shows what was left after we finished the communion service. In case you are wondering, this is a small church in Paso Robles, Covenant  Presbyterian Church. We used to share this building with a preschool for many years and only recently are able to use the building all week.

Tomorrow the cross will look like this. The white cloth represents purity and the Resurrection of Christ. I took this photo after church two years ago Easter. Since it is already Easter Sunday by the time you see this, I wish you a wonderful celebration. This banner hanging in the church says it all.


2 comments:

  1. I attended one last night too. Wound up with candle wax all over my skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, I didn't get a candle because I'm still hobbling and I didn't want to burn the building down. I thought it was unreasonable to expect people to read a service by the light of a personal candle. Our pastor's wife also got candle wax on her pants. I think historically the priest did the talking with only an occasional verbal response from the congregation. That would make more sense. I felt silly, sitting there with a flashlight in my purse, unable to read the pages in the dark. But somehow, I don't think my flashlight would gave been appreciated.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...