Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Apricot Blossoms Make My Heart Happy

Apricot Blossoms, March 12, 2015, © B. Radisavljevic
One of the first things we did when we moved into our Templeton house was to plant fruit trees. Few of them we planted were successful because we had never before shared our orchard with gophers, deer, squirrels, and other critters that not only want to share the crop, but also can damage the trees.



One of the trees we planted was an apricot tree. It has not produced a good crop since 2010, though occasionally we get a few pieces of fruit if the critters don't get it all first. I was delighted to see blossoms last time I went home. That means we just may get a crop in July. If this photo is too small, you can click it to enlarge it. I'm surprised some of the blossoms are a deep pink this year.

Fruitful Apricot Tree in July,, © B. Radisavljevic
This is our apricot tree on July 19, 2010, the year it was really loaded. I'm hoping we will have such a crop this year, since we love apricots, and they are never as good as they are just off the tree at the peak of ripeness. I was spoiled as a child because my dad grew all our peaches, plums, berries, and apricots, and I learned what fresh fruit was supposed to taste like.

Have you ever grown your own fruit or had parents who did?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...