Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Lawns, Weeds, and Flowers

Gazania and Daffodil in Lawn, © B. Radisavljevic
Since the drought started here in Paso Robles, landscaping has changed radically. Many people have removed their lawns and replaced them with drought-resistant plants surrounded by a bark or gravel mulch. I'd also like to  do that, but so far I can't afford it. Meanwhile, I have a field of green and yellow in front of my house, and once a week it becomes mostly green after the gardener tops of what's left of the grass. I snapped this picture yesterday before he could cut my lawn flowers today.

I only have one gazania in my lawn so far,  and I have no idea how it got there. I have many of them on the borders of my flowerbeds, but they are too far away to have escaped here to the middle of the lawn. I'm very tempted to plant them all over the lawn, since they are very cheerful and need virtually no care. They seem to survive on the water that comes from the sky.

There's no arguing that a gazania is a flower, though some might consider this one a weed simply because of its location. Except for its size, though, why is it considered more of a flower than the dandelion beside it? One can even eat the dandelions, flowers and all. Like the gazanias, the dandelions provide color all year.

Meanwhile, there's no doubt that these daffodils are flowers. We are expecting rain tomorrow, so I decided I'd better put out some organic snail bait tonight to try to save the rest of these and my other daffodils. I use the Garden Safe brand and it has always worked well for me when I remember to  use it in time. The rains caught me off-guard this year.

It's hard to believe that the lamb's ear plants to the right and behind the daffodils all came from one plant a few years ago that multiplied. Maybe I should put some of that where the lawn is.

Snails have attacked these daffodils. © B. Radisavljevic

Do you still have a lawn? If not, what did you put in its place?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...