Friday, February 5, 2016

February 5 is National Weatherman's Day

February 5 is National Weatherman's Day
Puddle Reflection, © B. Radisavljevic

What would we do without the weatherman, or, as is more politically correct, the weather person? 

The predictions of the weatherpeople give us advance notice of storms and hurricanes, blizzards and tornados, so we can be prepared. Fortunately, here on the California Central Coast, our most extreme weather is the rare really heavy rain. Any rain is welcome here, and we normally don't get flooding with it. We do get some puddles with lovely reflections, though.





This puddle in my driveway made a great mirror for the clouds in the sky.


February 5 is National Weatherman's Day
Clouds Reflected in Puddle on my Driveway © B. Radisavljevic


I usually check the weather forecast before I dress in the morning to decide whether long johns or shorts are more likely to be appropriate. Our weather can be very cold one day and quite warm on the next. Lately I've gotten so much use from my silk long johns, I've had to buy more. I love the warm Thermasilk pants and tops I got at Amazon. They even have glove and sock liners on that page, and I think I'm about ready to get some. My feet stay warm enough in my World's Softest Socks (see my review), but sometimes I need to wear thinner socks.   If I stock up on warm clothes, it ought to bring warm weather here faster. That's just how life usually is for me. Even so, it will give me a head start on next year's winter.

Over fifty years ago when I lived in the dorm at UCLA, one of the other people who lived there, Bill Bakewell, was a meteorology student. He had his own set of instruments to predict the weather right there in the dorm. We always trusted his forecasts for Westwood weather more than the ones the pros made. Bill was more accurate. Last time I ran into Bill on the streets of Westwood decades ago I was surprised to learn he had become an artist -- not a meteorologist after all. He would have been a good one.  I wonder if he's still alive? I can't seem to bring him up on Google, but he may not have been active online. I'll always wonder what became of him after I last saw him.

Do you have favorite weatherperson?

Meteorologist Long Sleeve Tee
Meteorologist Long Sleeve Tee
See other Meteorologist T-Shirts at zazzle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...