Friday, January 8, 2016

Today is Earth's Rotation Day

Today is Earth's Rotation Day
Sunset, © B. Radisavljevic

I'm afraid I don't have photos of the earth rotating, but I do have proof it rotates. If the earth did not rotate, the sun would not set and the moon would not rise. Without the earth's rotation, we would not have day and night. 

In September, I took this shot of the sunset while facing west, just as the sun was almost down.



Then I turned to face the east as the moon was rising. Same day. Same time

Today is Earth's Rotation Day
The Moon in September, © B. Radisavljevic


It is the earth's rotation that causes the moon to rise as the sun sets.

This video helps us understand the earth's rotation.



If you'd like some more help in explaining how the earth rotates and why we have day and night to your children, you might try one of these books.