Monday, September 28, 2015

In Search of the Super Blood Moon

September 27 Sunset, © B. Radisavljevic
Like many others on the West Coast, our search for the Super Blood Moon was a wild goose chase. The moon hid behind a cloud cover until about 9 PM. Those of us heading east to the rural areas when it was due only found each other out looking. I saw many other cars on rural roads surrounded by open space parked facing east. We saw no moon at all. What we did see was this gorgeous sunset as we looked back west.


September 27 Sunset Behind Oak, © B. Radisavljevic


Earlier, before I left home to chase the moon, I snapped this shot as the sun was setting. I often shoot a sunset through the branches of this oak across the street. I didn't realize at the time the sunset show would only get better.




September 27 Sunset, © B. Radisavljevic



While I was parked hoping for a moon to appear, the sun almost disappeared. You can see it sneaking under the horizon here.







September 27 Sunset with Refection, © B. Radisavljevic

I decided to change the setting on my camera for night photography just to see what effect it would have. Since I had no tripod with me,  I decided to rest the camera on the top of my car. I was delighted with the surprise reflection that showed up in this photo.




September 27 Super Moon, © B. Radisavljevic
Like most people who were chasing the super moon and the eclipse, I gave up and went home. About 9 I went outside to see if the clouds had moved. I was finally able to see the moon. My point and shoot camera couldn't capture the dark circle that made the moon look like a white bulls-eye in a target,  but it was there, much larger than the moon itself. It may have been the shadow of the sun. I don't know whether part of the moon is missing here because of the eclipse or whether it is just blocked by a cloud. Wish I'd had a better camera and a tripod.

Please click any photo you want to enlarge.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to get a photo of the moon, too, but was unsuccessful. When it was low in the sky it was too light out, then there were too many trees in the way and then finally when it rose above the trees, I don't think my camera is good enough. Or maybe it was just the inexperience of the photographer with doing night photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you could see it with your eyes. We couldn't see it here at all when is was low.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...