Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Mushrooms after a December Rain

The world always looks different after a rain. It not only looks cleaner, but some plants only grow when it's wet. Mushrooms are one of those. It's a shame ignorance keeps me from being able to eat them,  but I know one mistake could be fatal. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to make proper identification even with a guidebook in hand.

Mushrooms after a December Rain, © B. Radisavljevic
Mushrooms after a December Rain, © B. Radisavljevic

Have you ever gone hunting for edible mushrooms? If  you want to try it, make sure you spend some time with some accurate field guides. Experts say you should have more than one. Some say you  really need to go mushroom hunting with an expert until you know what you are doing. These are some of the most highly rated mushroom guides for the Western United States. If you live somewhere else, you will also find guides for your region if you click though.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy finding mushrooms, too. It is fun to see how they just pop up overnight in so many different colors and shapes. I won't eat them either since I don't trust myself to identify the edible vs poisonous ones.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...