Thursday, June 11, 2015

There Are Worse Places than Highway 46 West for a Car to Break Down

Car Break-Down on Hwy 46 W, Paso Robles, © B. RadisavljevicMy husband inherited an old Ford Galaxy from his dad. It's been sitting on our property for at least 15 years, and most of that time it hasn't run because it just sits there. Once in a while he tries to sell it, and gets it running, but when the sale doesn't go through, it just sits there until the next time.

In the past two weeks he found a buyer, but he has had to get the car back in decent shape. That project has been going on for at least three weeks. He thought it was finished, but then a gasket broke between the manifold and the engine block and he told me he was taking the car to the shop and he'd call if he needed to be picked up. About 11:30 he called me to pick him up on 46 West a little east of Anderson Road.

Tooth and Nail Winery Sign on Hwy 46 W, Paso Robles, © B. Radisavljevic
He'd had all sorts of problems. The first shop he had taken it to said they   didn't want to do the job. Then he ran out of gas on the way to the second shop and had to call the auto club to rescue him. After that he went to a second mechanic, who didn't have time to do the job. He decided to go home, and halfway there on 46 West the brakes went out. So he called me. I got there before the auto club and knew there would be a wait, so I got out my camera (I never leave home without it) and decided to make the best of whatever photo opportunites were in front of me. Directly in front of me was this sign in the Tooth and Nail Vineyard.

Clouds, Oaks, Vineyard, on Hwy 46 W, Paso Robles, © B. Radisavljevic

After the tow truck finally showed up, Hubby had to  talk to the driver for a few minutes, so I looked around for more photo subjects. I loved the way the clouds seemed to be almost touching this vineyard and the oaks on the south side of 46 West, so I snapped this from across the highway.



Field, Oaks, Vineyard, on Hwy 46 W, Paso Robles, © B. Radisavljevic
I've always loved the contrast between the hay-colored fields and the green vineyards in June when the two are side-by-side. I've always wanted this photo, but never had a place to legally park to shoot it. In today's emergency, we had to park in the bike lane while we waited. Fortunately, there were no bikers needing to use it while we were there. As you can see, there are worse places to have a car break down. At least the scenery is good. And Pete Johnson's towing isn't far away, either.

Where is the last place you can remember being stranded to wait for a tow truck?

2 comments:

  1. Love how you made the most of your being stranded by taking such beautiful pictures. It's possible those car repair companies were worried about finding parts, since the Ford Galaxy is quite old. I used to have an old car before and I'd have to go to a street that specialized on second hand parts for old cars. Then I'd bring it to the car repair so they could put it in. The auto club sound like road angels:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mona, I was a bit worried about the parts, too. The auto club does help members whose cars break down and either gets the cars started or tows them to a shop for repairs. It appears this mechanic will get the car fixed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...