Monday, July 13, 2015

Mixed Herbs in a Paso Robles Garden

Mixed Herbs in a Paso Robles Garden, © B. Radisavljevic
Mixed Herbs in a Paso Robles Garden, © B. Radisavljevic
This photo came from my front flower bed about a month ago, in June. Two of the herbs are in bloom. The pale pink flower clusters are on the clary sage. To the left of it you see tricolor sage. Between that and the kale in back is oregano, which is now in bloom, but it wasn't then. The small purple flowers are hyssop blossoms. For a closer look, just click the photo to enlarge it.

The sages and oregano are in pots to keep them confined. I like growing these perennial herbs because they require almost no care and little water. I harvest and use the oregano. I grow the other herbs for their ornamental value. The bees use them for forage, and they add color in season. Herbs give me the most value for my money when water is rationed.

The photo on the card below comes from another of my herb gardens in Templeton. It shows the tricolor sage in bloom. To its right is common sage, which has finished blooming. The rosemary, which has also finished blooming, is behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...