Monday, July 27, 2015

Flags on Vineyard Drive

Flags of United States and Greece as Seen On Vineyard Drive in Templeton, © B. Radisavljevic
I have never been a student of international flags, just as I was never a great student of geography. I took the required freshman course in high school, but most of what I learned about countries and maps back then has changed as countries have disappeared or been renamed. That is why I had to Google to identify the flag flying under the Stars and Stripes when I stopped to photograph it on Vineyard Drive Saturday night.

In case you are as poor a student of flags as I am, it's the flag of Greece. Both flags are backwards, since I was photographing them from the outside of the fence and could not see them from the front side. The cross symbolizes the Greek Orthodox Church. There are different possible meanings for the stripes. Just click the link above if you are interested in them.

3 comments:

  1. I recognized the Greek flag right away (love the colors) but didn't know what the cross means. Thanks for telling me. Maybe the owner of this flagpole is Greek, or the land belongs to the Greek Orthodox Church... or that's a Greek restaurant. I'm just letting my imagination run wild. Maybe they have Greek language classes there. Or... could it be an embassy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, the flags are in a residential area, so I'm guessing the homeowner is Greek and showing his concern for what Greece is going through right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so. I love the diversity of California. People from all nations fit in just fine.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...