Monday, July 20, 2015

A Glorious Sky with Promise

Saturday Sunset, Paso Robles
I saw this beauty in the sky Saturday night as I came home from Kennedy Club. I have seen several skies full of what appeared to be storm clouds this month, but none of them kept their promises. When I saw this radiance from the clouds, I wondered if this time we would see our much needed rain. At first we heard what sounded like a heavy rain, but it lasted less than two minutes. Then we got some sprinkles,  and then  it seemed to stop. I was afraid that was the end.

Storm Clouds
Then God gave us the rain we had been praying for. We not only saw it, but we heard it coming. Even as I write this on Sunday afternoon, the thunder is still booming from the heavens. Last night it felt like my bed was in the middle of a battlefield. Light kept flashing through the windows followed by booms that shook the house. I was reminded of the words to these verses of "O Worship the King," by William Kethe in 1561, which is based on Psalm 104.

O tell of His might, O sing of His grace,
Whose robe is the light, whose canopy space.
His chariots of wrath the deep thunderclouds form,
And dark is His path on the wings of the storm.

Thy bountiful care, what tongue can recite?
It breathes in the air, it shines in the light;
It streams from the hills, it descends to the plain,
And sweetly distills in the dew and the rain.
Storm Clouds
From generation to generation, the people of God have recognized God's blessings given  to all in the form of nature - the sun, the sky, rain, oceans, lakes, rivers, plants and animals. God gives freely. We need only to gratefully receive and use his gifts wisely. Today I rejoice in rain once again, just as I did when I wrote the poem "God's Gift of Rain" a few years ago. Read more about the Blessings of Rain in my musical photo essay on HubPages.


2 comments:

  1. I too, am a big fan of rain. During these drought years, rain is especially precious. We haven't reached the California level of drought here in Idaho yet, but if things keep going this way, next year we will be close to that. Our winter was very mild. It is sad to see streams dry up, so I hope more rain will be coming your way soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize that Idaho was also in a drought. Let's hope both our states get more rain this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...