Saturday, April 18, 2015

On the Froom Ranch Trail in San Luis Obispo

 Trail through Irish Hills, © B. Radisavljevic
After showing you the historic Froom Ranch farmhouse and barn yesterday, I'd like to  show you some of the trail near Froom Ranch  today. I didn't climb it last night while I was taking pictures. Not only was the sun already down, but since I hurt my knee, I have to keep all walking level. So I  took this photo of an unofficial trail access from behind the Home Depot parking lot in San Luis Obispo. The trail officially starts at the end of Madonna Road. Any of these photos can be enlarged with a click.

Water Tower on Hill Above Home Depot, © B. Radisavljevic
This area behind Home Depot and Costco is known as the Irish Hills. It may have been named that during the rainy season when the hills were green. They are currently approaching the time of year when they will be brown if we don't get more rain.

I took this photo of the water tower on the hill above Home Depot by walking only a few feet on the trail. It is quite close to the Froom Ranch buildings.

Heading Back to Car from Trail through Irish Hills, © B. Radisavljevic
I did, however, manage to get onto the trail from the Madonna Road Entrance in April, 2012. My husband and I decided to work off some lunch before our Costco visit so we walked in the Irish hills on the trail for about half an hour. Then he  got tired and I didn't want to wander alone. This is Hubby on the trail heading back to the car.

This next one shows an uphill trail ahead of me.

Climbing Trail through Irish Hills, © B. Radisavljevic

The trail is curvy and steep in some places.

Climbing Down Trail through Irish Hills, © B. Radisavljevic


This was the view as I was about to take the path back down to the  residential area where we had parked. 

View South Below Trail in Irish Hills, © B. Radisavljevic

Someday I hope I hope I can find someone to walk the easy part of the trail down to the creek with me after I can start hiking myself again. Have you hiked this trail? Have you gone to the top where you can view the ocean?

For more specific information on hiking the Irish Hills and the rest of the Central Coast, you might find this book helpful. 



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I am not sure how you did all those up and down hills with a sore knee. Hope its okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, I took the pictures when I was on the trail three years ago before any of the surgeries or injuries. I took the first two photos from the bottom this week. At least I finally got insurance approval to see an orthopedic doctor. I'd really like to get back on the trails if possible. I'm getting fat from lack of walking.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...