Monday, November 20, 2017

Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away

I Found the Crow First on a Power Line


I'm trying to get back to walking again to get stronger, so after I got attached to my Holter monitor this morning I walked all over Posada Lane and behind MedWorks to a drainage ditch. I took almost 300 photos, some of which you will see in future posts. But today I will show you the crow I followed. I first saw it when I had walked over to Las Tablas Road toward the hospital to get a shot of where they are rebuilding a medical complex that burned down a year or two ago. Then I heard some cawing and looked up.  That's when I saw it.


Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away
Crow on a Power Line. Will it Fly Away? © B. Radisavljevic


It appeared that the crow couldn't decide whether or not to fly to the tree. Eventually it made a decision and flew away. That was almost the end of the story. Until I walked back around the corner to Posada Lane.

My First Introduction to Crows


I've seen crows around all my life, but I first learned a bit about what they were like when I read Blacky the Crow by Thornton Burgess.  I highly recommend the Burgess animal stories for getting children acquainted with nature in a fun way.




I Find the Crow Again

I was almost back to where my car was parked when I stopped to take this photo. I had never noticed this tree before. The color resembled a sycamore at this time of year, but the leaves were wrong. A woman walked by, saw me with a camera, and asked me if I were taking a picture of the hawk. I told her I was taking a picture of the tree and was trying to figure out what it was. She said, "It's an oak." I knew the leaves were the right shape, but I'd never seen oak leaves so big. 

Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away: Photos from a Nature Walk
Red Oak, © B. Radisavljevic

This is my go-to book when trying to identify my local trees in San Luis Obispo County. It's written by a professor at Cal Poly.


There are some cheaper copies at eBay if you prefer that to Amazon.


As I found out later, she was right about the tree, but wrong about the "hawk." It turned out to be my elusive crow, or its friend. There were two of them. This is the one that stayed in one place long enough for me to get a shot. 

Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away: Photos from a Nature Walk


Another crow began to circle and call and it flew to the next tree. Finally this bird decided to follow. 

Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away: Photos from a Nature Walk
Crow in Flight, © B. Radisavljevic


I think being among the birds and the trees had a healing effect today. How often do you take nature walks?

Watching a Crow Decide Whether to Stay or Fly Away: Photos from a Nature Walk


What is your favorite way to interact with nature?

*****


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...