Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Bird in Tree Enjoying the Rain

Bird in Tree Enjoying the Rain, © B. Radisavljevic
Bird in Tree Enjoying the Rain, © B. Radisavljevic
As I was standing on a covered porch looking out at my backyard during a light rain, I noticed some birds frolicking on the ground. I ran for my camera, but by the time I came back, the birds were gone. I stood there for a few minutes with the camera aimed toward the ground before I saw a bird heading for this tall tree. I was delighted when it forsook the lower branches and moved to the very top where it was more visible. I loved seeing the bird in the tree enjoying the rain. I loved it even more when it remained there long enough for me to photograph it.

The tree itself is dormant. It's supposed to be an apricot tree, but it's never had a blossom in twenty years. It shades my roses in summer and probably robs them of nutrients and water. My mom planted it wanting apricots, and either she was wrong about the type of tree or there is no tree nearby to cross-pollinate it. She may have thought one was not needed. There are plenty of bees, so lack of pollinators is not the problem.

I have almost had this tree removed many times, but have not yet been able to afford the cost of having it done. Removing our pine tree, which was in front of it, was fairly expensive. I'd rather put a smaller tree here that does produce fruit. I'm glad, though, that the tree was here for my friend with feathers today.

Below is a bird whose photo I took in another tree during another gray winter day. This magnet can be customized with an inspirational text or left as is.

2 comments:

  1. Barbara, I'm a big birder person so I liked this image and post very much. Also, it's very timely as yesterday was National Bird Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan, what a happy coincidence. I had no idea yesterday was national bird day. Thanks for cluing me in.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...