Friday, May 22, 2015

U is for Under the Bridge

Salinas River Trail Leads Under the Veterans' Memorial Bridge, © B. Radisavljevic
I've always been a curious person when it comes to exploring what I consider my territory. Right now that territory is North San Luis Obispo County. One thing I had wondered about every time I crossed a bridge is what that bridge would look like on the underside. I also wondered what might be under the bridge. I finally got a chance to satisfy my curiosity when I moved to Paso Robles. It just so happens that the Salinas River Trail goes right under the Veterans' Memorial Bridge (also known locally and more commonly as the Niblick Bridge, because it crossed the Salinas River on Niblick Road.)

Salinas River From Under the Veterans' Memorial Bridge, © B. Radisavljevic

I took these pictures from under the bridge in a wet year, 2011, in April.

  Salinas River From Under the Veterans' Memorial Bridge, © B. Radisavljevic



Cross Memorial under Niblick Bridge, © B. Radisavljevic

That year, 2011, we received a lot of rain and the river had almost left its banks. It's said that one of the homeless people who live in on the islands in the middle of the river drowned that year. I wondered about that when I saw this right under the bridge.








This photo was taken this year, 2015, in January, and there was no water in the river.

Under the Veterans' Memorial Bridge in January, 2015, © B. Radisavljevic

















Also this year I took a walk that extended all the way to the 13th Street Bridge.


This is the approach  to the 13th Street Bridge from the trail.

Approaching the 13th Street Bridge in Paso Robles, 2015, © B. Radisavljevic

















This view was taken under that bridge.

Under the 13th Street Bridge in Paso Robles, 2015, © B. Radisavljevic
 Have you ever walked under a bridge? Both of these bridges are main traffic arteries between the west and east side of Paso Robles. When you are under one of the bridges you can feel and hear the traffic above your head. And, of course,  one always hopes that the "big one" won't come when one is under the bridge. Supposedly they are now retrofitted to be safe in earthquakes. I certainly hope it's true.



T-Shirt EARTHQUAKES GET ME ALL SHOOK UP!
T-Shirt EARTHQUAKES GET ME ALL SHOOK UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...