Wednesday, August 26, 2015

The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears

I have always loved the look of Lamb's Ears (STACHYS byzantina) with their wooly leaves. I love touching their softness. I love the way their gray color adds contrast to the green of my other garden plants.


The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
Macro Lamb's Ears Leaves, © B. Radisavljevic



I started growing Lamb's Ears in my Templeton herb garden at least ten years ago in a pot. It escaped, and then I brought a baby plant to Paso Robles and put it in my front flower bed. It kept spreading, and now it's in every one of my front Paso Robles flower beds. It seems to thrive in this climate and seems to need very little water. I just let it grow because it smothers any weeds that try to grow through it.



The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
 Lamb's Ears in Herb Garden, right, © B. Radisavljevic

The photo to the right shows that first potted Lamb's Ears plant in Templeton. To its left is a blooming bull thistle plant. You can also see lilies of the Nile (blue) to the left and behind the bull thistle. The orange and yellow flowers are a combination of Calendula and California golden poppies. The photo was taken near the end of June.

One of the first babies from this plant I put in Paso Robles is in this photo. This was taken in April before the plant started budding. That was back in 2013. Now the plant has spread to fill in all the empty space to the side and behind.


The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
 Lamb's Ears in Paso Robles Garden, right, © B. Radisavljevic



This shot below was taken at the end of April when the plant is just beginning to bud.


The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
 Lamb's Ears Budding, End of April, © B. Radisavljevic



Below the plants are flowering at the beginning of May. All the flowers do not open at once. The flowers are tiny and delicate, but they attract bees. By June the flowers fill out a bit more.



The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
 Lamb's Ears Blooming, Beginning of May, © B. Radisavljevic



This last photo was taken August 25. By this time the flowers have dried out and gone to seed. The spikes are now leaning toward the ground. I will soon have to cut them back.


The Life Stages of Lamb's Ears
 Lamb's Ears end of August, © B. Radisavljevic







4 comments:

  1. Love how soft these lamb's ears are to touch..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, Barbara. My mom always has lambs ears in her garden. Generations of children have grown up learning about gardening by first touching the lambs ears. Wish I could take you up on your offer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could, too. I never saw or felt Lamb's Ears until a few years ago.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...