Friday, March 25, 2016

Watch a Forklift Reach Truck Load a Lumber Truck

Watch a Forklift Reach Truck Load a Lumber Truck
I had never known I'd want to watch a forklift reach truck load a lumber truck until I heard the forklift in the distance as I walked near the Paso Robles Train Station toward Derby Wine Estates. My curiosity kept me walking east beside the railroad tracks until I found the source of the engines and beeping. At first I wasn't sure what I was seeing, since by the time I got there the action had temporarily stopped.  

I actually discovered I knew less about what I was seeing than my son would have known when he was fourteen years old. He knew the names of all the construction vehicles and what each one did. He used to go watch anything having to do with construction or vehicles. I, on the other hand, had to whip out my Facts on File Visual Dictionary to understand what I was seeing. That dictionary is now out of print, but has been replaced with a later edition by the same  author, Jean-Claude Corbeil, now known as Merriam-Webster's Visual DictionaryThe wonderful thing about this dictionary is that you don't have to know the name of what you are looking for. You just find the subject. I was able to find the proper name for the forklift reach truck under Heavy Machinery, Materials Handling. Then the clearly labeled illustrations helped me identify my vehicles.

Watch a Forklift Reach Truck Load a Lumber Truck

Since a video is worth many words of explanation, I did record video of what I saw to share with you, so you, too, can watch how a lumber truck is loaded and sent on its way to a lumberyard. I did narrate what may not have been clear. Be sure to invite and curious children to watch this with you. You might want to watch it full screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...