Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Is This a Catalpa Tree is Blooming in City Park?

When I Was Walking in the Park I Met a Tree I Didn't Know


I took that walk at City Park May 3, and the tree got my attention because it was in bloom. I still don't have a positive identification, but it seems to be a catalpa tree. I was using A Californian's Guide to the Trees Among Us by Matt Ritter, a botany professor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo to try to identity it. (This is a great reference book if you are interested in identifying California trees.) I also  double checked on the internet to see other photos and they seemed to confirm the identification. Here is the overview. It's also just the right size to pin.

Is This a Catalpa Tree is Blooming in City Park?


Below is just the upper part of the tree so you can see the leaves and flowers more clearly.

Is This a Catalpa Tree is Blooming in City Park?
Upper View of Catalpa Tree, © B. Radisavljevic

The fruits of the catalpas tree are also present. The photo below shows them clearly along with another close look at the leaf shape.

Is This a Catalpa Tree is Blooming in City Park?
View of Catalpa Tree Flowers and Fruits, © B. Radisavljevic
The book says the catalpa tree starts blooming next month, but a lot of my flowers that aren't supposed to be blooming yet are early, so  I'm guessing that's the case here. The catalpas are native to the Midwest, so maybe they will wait until June to bloom there. We are in a warmer climate. Mother Nature doesn't always go by the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...