Saturday, October 28, 2017

Maybe I Should Have Gone to the ER

Health Dictates a Brief Post Today


Last night was scary. Just before I was ready to go to bed at my usual 2 am, my heart started to race and I felt dizzy. My blood pressure was 149/92 with a pulse of 155. Ten minutes later I took it again and it was 129/88 with a pulse rate of 156. My normal pulse rate is closer to 60. I had very mild chest pain. I wouldn't have noticed it had I not been lying down. Once again I debated internally a frequent question that comes up in my life? Should I take an ambulance ride?

Maybe I Should Have Gone to the ER
Twin Cities Hospital Emergency Treatment Room, © B. Radisavljevic 


Why I Didn't Go


Why did I leave that bed above unfilled? I am an  emergency room veteran. I have been at least twice for chest pain. It's always pretty much been a wasted trip. I come home feeling worse than when I went because it's impossible to sleep. It takes me two days to recover. Read about my past experiences here: Our Experience at the Twin Cities Hospital Emergency Room.

I just reread it. I realize now that maybe I should have gone. But I knew I'd probably not finish this blogging challenge on time because they would have kept me overnight again to do a repeat blood test in the morning. I would have been too exhausted to do anything in the morning and probably the next day as well. I already knew the information in this video:



I have had these palpitations before. They haven't been this bad for years, but my cardiologist wasn't alarmed about them. When I didn't go last time this happened, when I finally got approval to see him he did another stress test and told me I had made the right decision in not going. He told me next time to take another half pill of my medication and rest until it kicked in. I did that last night. Except it took over an hour for anything to change. I tried to sleep, but it's hard when your pulse rate is really high. Then I noticed a tiny bit of pain in my chest and in my fingers in my left hand. I was pretty sure I wasn't having a stroke, because I've read this and keep it handy.





Maybe I Should Have Gone to the ER
The Screen from the Ultrasound from my Stress Test,  © B. Radisavljevic 


I finally woke up my husband. I had almost passed out trying to make it to the bathroom. He sat with me while I sat in my recliner in the family room and we decided what to do. Had it been him instead of me I would have called the ambulance. He has a stent and a history of heart problems.

I know the doctors are in the process of experimenting with changing the doses on my heart and thyroid medications. No one is sure what the right dose is anymore because I lost weight and they cut the dosage of both medications to make up for the weight loss. Meanwhile, I never know when these episodes of palpitations and dizziness will occur, so I hardly dare drive. My head just doesn't feel right.

It's now 2:15 pm. Except for a weird feeling in my head I feel pretty normal, but my last two blood pressure readings, taken in bed, have been way below my normal 124. Meanwhile, I think I'll call my pharmacist for advice on the medications and have a bit of caffeine if my blood pressure is still too low. That would be green tea and maybe a bit of dark chocolate with my banana and almonds.

Maybe I Should Have Gone to the ER
What I Frequently Have for Lunch, © B. Radisavljevic 


I had a pretty safe breakfast: hot oatmeal with walnuts, raisins and chopped apples in it. I'll take it easy today. Above is what I'll probably have for lunch - cold broiled chicken strips, tangerine, avocado, almonds, and maybe some of those olives. I could eat it plain or make a salad of all but the tangerine and olives and add a few white beans. If I do that I'll used slivered instead of the whole almonds. I doubt if my doctors would fault any of those foods.

Since I need to rest, I will schedule this post ahead and go to bed earlier tonight - as soon as I feel tired. I will only do online tonight what I can get done before I tire. I can use a few hours more sleep to make up for the four hours I missed last night, since I didn't fall asleep until about 6 am.

What Would You Have Done?

I'm sure many of you would probably scold me me for staying home. Many others would understand why I did. I'm honestly not sure yet I won't go tonight if the problem comes up again and my pharmacist has no advice and I can't reach my doctors by phone. Stay tuned.

Note: Please do not use this as medical advice you should apply to yourself. This is just my own experience and I used past medical advice from my doctors when making my decision. People with any of these symptoms should see a doctor, and if they are severe they should go to the emergency room. Each person's medical history and condition is unique.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...