Thursday, July 26, 2018

Fair Weather Has a Unique Meaning in Paso Robles

Fair Weather In July


The most common usage of the term "fair weather" is as the opposite of "foul weather." According to the Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus, fair weather is 'FINE, dry, bright, clear, sunny, cloudless, warm, balmy, clement, benign, pleasant.'  Here in Paso Robles, though, locals have their own interpretation of "fair weather."

Fair Weather Has a Unique Meaning in Paso Robles

It seems that very year in July when the California Mid-State Fair comes to Paso Robles it is very, very hot. This week, for example, with the fair in town, we've had triple digit temperatures that are expected to last most of the week before dropping to the nineties. That's what I call fair weather.

I took the photo tonight at 8:30. The temperature was still 85 degrees when I went to get the mail. As I walked back home and looked south, those clouds looked like layers of heat to me.

I can't handle hot weather, so I rarely get to the fair. I understand that the air conditioning went out in at least one of the buildings yesterday -- the one a friend of mine was working in. She said they had to depend on fans to fight the oppressive heat.

Murder at the Mid-State Fair


Did you know that Earlene Fowler wrote a murder mystery set at the Mid-State Fair? She is one of my favorite authors because most of her Benni Harper mysteries are set here in San Luis Obispo County. I love her characters and I enjoy being able to visualize the places mentioned in the books -- even though the author disguises the place names a bit. For example, San Luis Obispo is referred to as San Celina. Any local will find it easy to figure out the settings, and some, like Paso Robles and Morro Bay aren't disguised. Read my review of State Fair here.   Why not pick up a copy at the library while the fair is happening? Or pick it up at Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...