Thursday, September 6, 2018

Little Free Library in the Botanical Garden

Free Books at the San Luis Obispo County Botanical Garden


As I was exploring the botanical garden this week, I discovered a selection of books one can borrow in a Little Free Library some thoughtful person or group had put there. The way it works is that you can take a book out and later return a book of your choice. Here are some of the books I saw there.

Little Free Library in the Botanical Garden
Little Free Library in San Luis Obispo County Botanical Garden


Reading in the Shade


I didn't get to the botanical garden until after I had hiked the Discovery Trail above the gardens, so I was very tired when I discovered the library. I returned my camera to the car and got provisions before heading to the restroom right beside the parking lot to clean up. I had retrieved my Kindle, a purse-size water bottle, and a packet of delicious BelVita cookie biscuits for energy. I was anxious to return to the shady section of benches I had passed on my way to the car. I had been hiking over an hour in the sun, so I sat and read as I rested and fed my body.

Little Free Library in the Botanical Garden
Shady Reading Area in Botanical Garden in San Luis Obispo


The Little Free Library


I had heard of and seen Little Free Libraries in public places and in front of homes, but I had no idea there was one in the botanical garden in San Luis Obispo. If you're not familiar with them, this short video will explain.




You can start your own Little Free Library and the above video tells you how.
You will also find lots of information on the Little Free Library Website.

Had I known about the Little Free Library, I would not have needed my Kindle with me. I could have borrowed a book. As you can see, the day I took the photos there were many gardening books inside.

Do you have a Little Free Library near you? If not, why not get a group together and start one to help support literacy in your neighborhood or in your own front yard.

Little Free Library in the Botanical Garden in San Luis Obispo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...